Mary Ann KUHNS
________________________________________________ | _William KING of Western PA_| | (.... - 1856) m 1805 | | |________________________________________________ | _William KING _______| | (1806 - 1879) m 1832| | | _Joseph ASPRIL attorney --Deed NC Co DE W2 P110_+ | | | (.... - 1802) m 1775 | |_Eleanor ASPRIL ____________| | (1781 - 1862) m 1805 | | |_Mary SKEER (SKEAR) ____________________________+ | (1755 - ....) m 1775 | |--James Hasson KING | (1835 - 1877) | ________________________________________________ | | | ____________________________| | | | | | |________________________________________________ | | |_Elizabeth FETZER ___| (.... - 1892) m 1832| | ________________________________________________ | | |____________________________| | |________________________________________________
 [S24] Journal of Susannah Elizabeth Vandegrift
Jessie Isaabella DAYHOFF
____________________________ | _Jacob STARNER ________| | (1809 - 1874) | | |____________________________ | _Calvin STARNER _____| | (1845 - 1925) | | | _John Daniel Jr STONESIFER _+ | | | (1780 - 1849) | |_Catharine STONESIFER _| | (1805 - 1880) | | |_Elizabeth BAUER ___________ | (1772 - 1846) | |--Jacob David STARNER | (1867 - ....) | ____________________________ | | | _______________________| | | | | | |____________________________ | | |_Annie CIRCLE _______| (1846 - 1905) | | ____________________________ | | |_______________________| | |____________________________
 [S14] "History and Genealogy of the Stonesifer Family of MD and PA"
_Abraham STONESIFER _+ | (1835 - 1926) m 1871 _Irvin Edgar STONESIFER _| | (1885 - 1952) m 1909 | | |_Sevilla HESSON _____+ | (1842 - 1922) m 1871 _George Abraham STONESIFER _| | (1915 - 1982) m 1935 | | | _____________________ | | | | |_Bessie Romaine KRENZER _| | (1889 - 1937) m 1909 | | |_____________________ | | |--Sylvia Kaye STONESIFER | (1950 - ....) | _____________________ | | | _________________________| | | | | | |_____________________ | | |_Helen Virginia SHOEMAKER __| m 1935 | | _____________________ | | |_________________________| | |_____________________
 [S14] "History and Genealogy of the Stonesifer Family of MD and PA"
Veaseys originated with a John Vasey whose will 2/28/1697/8 in CC apparently was never probated. He names his wife Martha, and son William as executors. Other sons were Edward, James, Robert, and George . Tracts of land conveyed were along the south side of the Bohemia River.
Cherry Grove on "Veazey's Neck" by the Veazey Family reunion
John Veazey was believed to have been born in Essex County, England about 1647. He married Martha Broccus about 1670 we think in Cecil County. He appeared to own property in this county before the 1687 date on his first land acquisition. He and his wife Martha had 5 sons of record: Edward, George, James. Robert, and William. Extensive records are available on many of these lines in Maryland. John died in Maryland leaving a will that was not probated but was dated 1697-98 and names his wife, Martha and five sons. He made his home in Cecil County on a neck of land called Veazey's Neck in a house named "Cherry Grove." It was the custom in those days to name the land for the family and to name the church for a body of water. It is our belief that he built the log portion of " Cherry Grove" in the late 1600's. This pioneer log home is incorporated into the home of Bill and Betty Ward in 1993.
John is the progenitor of all of the Veazeys who sprung from "Cherry Grove" on "Veazey's Neck" on the northern end of the Delmarva Peninsula. It is thought that he is of the family of Veazey of "Wickes " in Essex County, England. It is very possible that he had been living in Cecil County a number of years before the deed for his tract of land was recorded in 1687. A deed to the tract named "True Game." Dated January 5, 1694 was in the possession of Mrs. Benjamin B Craycroft of Philadelphia and viewed by Duncan Veazey of Baltimore in 1896. The recording of this document had not been located. This tract was originally surveyed for Anne Morgan on April 14, 1665 and was in the possession of John's son, Edward Veasey, in 1707 when the Rent Roll for Cecil County was made.
Apparently, on or before April 1, 1687, John Veazey became a Freeholder in Cecil County, Maryland, with two tracts of land the aforementioned "True Game" and a second tract, "Dividing," both included in the homestead which is known as "Cherry Grove, even though it is not known that he adopted that name for his dwelling plantation. Although John Veazey's grave is not marked, it is believe that he is buried in the family burying ground at Cherry Grove where many of his descendants are also buried.
The home called Cherry Grove is probably one of the older homes in Maryland, if not in the entire United States, especially one that has been in continuous use as a private family dwelling. We can name historic homes built in the eighteenth century, but how many can reliably be thought to have been built in the later part of the seventeenth century? Does this bring family history alive?"
Note: I will be using the numbering for the Veazey family that is taken from the book "Descendants of John Veazey"
by Ann Veazey Davis. Please see the Veazey/Veasey website for more information on the Veazey family! She has
nearly 25,000 names in her database, beginning with the first John Veazey, down to new babies born within the
Vesey of "Wickes", Essex, England
Arms: Ermine, on a cross sable fine Martletts
Crest: An arm emboxed and couped at the at the shoulder, erect from the elbow, vested gules, cuffed ermine, in the
hand proper fine leaves slipped vert.
Translating the heraldic terms the arms may be described as an ermine shield having on it a black cross on which are
five gold colored martletts.
This device was undoubtedly used by those who from tradition and from such records as remain from the troublous
time of the Stewarts, were the ancestors of some of the New England Veazeys and of the John Veazeys of Cecil
County. Those arms are of sufficient traditional and family interest for the descendants of John Veazey to justify the
use of them by those in the male line of descent and the quartering of them by those in the female line and it is the
judgment of Duncan Veazey that those who shall so use them as a family device may feel sure that they are using
the same device that their ancestors bore.
This family, like others with some claim to antiquity from an American standpoint, has its own traditions and stories.
One, which is of importance because it refers to the most remote starting point of family history, is the tradition that
the progenitor of the Veazey family of Cecil County was a member of an English family of ancient Norman origin. This
tradition has often been repeated by elder members of the family whose only source of information on the subject
was the narratives of their forefathers. It is also noteworthy because the surname itself is of undoubted Norman, or
French, word Vesce, a circumstance observed by Duncan Veazey in examining old English records.
It is understood from various sources of authority, noted in Duncan Veazey's original notes, that in ancient times a
certain plant somewhat like a pea vine and called in French, Vesce, in English Vetch or Fare, was extensively grown
in Normandy for use as fodder for cattle. In time certain lands took from the Vesce, the name of Vesey, Vesce or
Vassy. At least one of these bore as a device a cross made from the entwined branches of the vine of the Vesce.
Two representatives of this family named Ivo (?) (John) and Robert DeVeazie (or DeVesce the
name being spelled in different ways) accompanied William the Conqueror to England. Ivo(?)
had a great castle and the Barony of Alnwick (pronounced Annick) and from him descended
some distinguished men. The late John Vesey, Viscount DeVesce, an Irish peer claimed descent
from him but otherwise his family seems to be extinct. Of this Duncan Veazey can not be
The Vesey cross was carved in many places at Alnwick Castle. Robert, brother of Ivo(?), had many grants of land
from William the Conqueror and it is supposed that his grandchildren took the name of some of the estates. This is
not certain however.
It is found that in Suffolk County England, many years later, there lived a Robert Vesy, or Vesey, of Hadley who bore
as his arms the same cross of the early Veseys or Vesceys or Veazies(?). This Robert of Hadley died in 1501 and had
a son William Vesy of Hintlesham, Suffolk (also referred to as Veysey and Vescey).
Hintlesham, or as it is styled, the Manor and Priory of Hintlesham were sold to William Veysey in 1545 by a Thomas
Veysey who does not appear elsewhere. In 1540 the said Manor had been granted to Thomas Veysey in the reign
of Henry VIII at the time of the dissolution of many religious houses. This estate of Hintlesham passed to William's
son William and thence to the time of Charles II when the heir fled to France. In 1804 the last proprietor, Thomas,
devised the place to a stranger, William, who was First of Hintlesham, had also a son Robert and on January 26,
1561, the Manor of "Wickes Abbey" was sold to William and Robert Veysey or Vescey. William died July 4, 1579 and
Robert who had been joint grantor with his father then became Robert Vesy or Vesey of "Wickes Abbey", Essex, as
appears by the Herald's Visitation of 1664.
The line thus runs from Robert of Hadley, Suffolk, died 1501; then his son William, who was First of Hintlesham,
Suffolk, who was born probably about 1500 and died July 4, 1577, having married Joan Cutler, and had several
children; then the younger son of William who became Robert of "Wickes Abbey" Essex and married Jane Cardinall of
It is interesting to note that the "Hintlesham" and "Wickes Abbey" families bore as arms the ancient cross of the
Veazies with five martletts on the cross, which indicated their descent from the fifth son or fourth Junior of a more
important house or family and indicating again the connection with the early Normans.
Robert of Wickes Abbey had a son known as William Vesy of Bedingham, Norfolk, who married Mary Bedingfield. He
was living in 1634 and had four sons:
1.Robert of Hadley, born 1592.
2.William Vesy or Vessey of "Wickes Park" Essex
4.Thomas Vesy or Vessey of "Weeks" Essex
It is in this generation that the first intimations concerning America is found. On Nov. 6, 1622, two shares in the
Virginia Company were transferred to William Vesy. The Virginia Company was short lived and has but little interest
but it is possible that the two shares were bought by William of Bedingham or his son William of "Wickes Park", both
of whom were living as late as 1634.
William of "Wickes Park" married Grizzel Brown of Beacles; and Thomas of "Weeks" married Martha Hovell or Howell.
William had two sons, William who was about 15 years of age in 1634 and Thomas. Thomas of "Weeks" had a son
Robert who signed the Herald's Visitation of 1664 as Robert of "Weeks" indicating that his father was then
deceased. the place was sold, apparently about this time but Duncan Veazey did not have the date.
Duncan Veazey, had all these matters examined by a genealogist in London and found that in the times of the
Parliament of the days of Charles the First the Veseys of Hintlesham and Wickes were in much commotion. It is also
apparent that the Wickes family was not wealthy, probably barely comfortable. A home built it is supposed from the
ruins of "Wickes Abbey" stood something more than fifty years ago near the site of the Abbey of which not a stone
remains. The sons of William of Bedingham apparently died in England but I find that Robert Veazey was at
Watertown, Mass. in the early days; George Veazey was at Dover, New Hampshire in 1650. A Vesy or Veazey was
at Pascotaqua in 1632.
William Vesy, or Veazey, was at Braintree, Mass. (now Quincy) in 1646 and he died in 1681 in his sixty-third or 65
year. This William corresponds almost exactly with William Vesy, son of William of Wickes Park, who was about 15
years of age in 1634. He married Eleanor Thompson, daughter of William and Abigail Thompson and had at least
1.William , born 1647
2.Solomon, born 1650
3.Samuel, born 1656
From one of these it is understood came Rev. William Vesey the first Rector of Trinity Church New York. In his will the
Rev. William Vesey refers to his brothers John and Benjamin, and sisters Eleanor, Mary and Hannah. William and
Eleanor also had daughters named Hannah, Abigail, Greenleaf, and Ellen. The Rev. William Vesey also referred to
them as of Bramtry.
The name Braintree is of some special interest in view of the numerous instances in which the names of the counties
in England were used in New England, showing that many settlers must have emigrated from the neighborhood of
Wickes Abbey. There is a market town in Essex County, England, called Braintree from which the New England town
where William Veazey lived and died undoubtedly took its name.
The founder of the Veazey family of Sassafras Neck was John Veazey, Vasey or Vesey. On April 1, 1687, he
purchased a tract of land in the southern portion of Cecil County, Maryland, on the eastern side of the Elk River and
on the south side of the Bohemia River near the point where the Bohemia empties into the Elk. The tract being part
of a neck of land which was afterwards known as "Veazey's Neck" and part of that general section of the county
known as "Sassafras" or "Sassafras Neck", the southern boundary of which is the Sassafras river. This tract of land
became a homestead in the family of the name of "Cherry Grove" and has descended in the family to the present
day, being in 1907 the property of Thomas Veazey Craycroft of Philadelphia. The date of this purchase, 1687, has
been taken always as the date of John Veazey's permanent settlement in the County but it is believed that he had
been living in the same section for a much longer period. It is supposed that his wife Martha was a daughter of
William Brocas (Broccas, corrected to Brockus) for whom the tract of land called "Essex Lodge" was surveyed in
1672. His marriage took place about the time this tract was patented and it is thought that the name "Essex Lodge"
was taken for the tract in memory of the home county in England, since William Broccas had no known connection
with Essex, was an old settler probably in Virginia and his name is very rare and of Scotch origin, while the Vesey's
of Wickes had been resident there at least since 1561.
A William Broccas had a vineyard in Virginia in early times and is described as a great traveler and either the same or
one of the same name was in the County in Virginia. there was an attempt to transfer "Essex Lodge" to a George
Broccas, but evidently it was not carried out as in 1707 John's third son, Edward was in possession of it.
At the time John purchased the place afterwards called "Cherry Grove", that is April 1, 1687, he was about forty
years of age and his eldest son William was something more than fifteen years old. The family seems to have then
consisted of his wife Martha and his five sons. An old memorandum seemed to refer to a brother William and the
writer of these notes, Duncan Veazey, has stated that John was accompanied by a brother William who either died
unmarried or removed to some other place. The accuracy of that memorandum is doubted and it is probable that
John was not accompanied by such a person. In a paper in the form of a will, 1698, which was never proved in court,
the original of which was in the possession of Mrs. S. E. Wills, and a copy of which Duncan Veazey made and now
(1907) has, he devised certain tracts of land to his sons William, George, Edward, James and Robert and a life
estate to his wife Martha in his "non (or now) dwelling plantation".
John Veazey was younger than William Vesy or Veazey of Braintree who is taken to be William, son of William of
"Wickes Park" and he was also younger than Robert of "Weeks" who signed the Visitation of 1664 and was then
probably 30 years of age, or rather less. He was however contemporary with them and it is interesting to note the
circumstance that the Christian names of all the Veazeys or Veseys have been repeated regularly generation after
generation. Thus the first Robert of Hadly had a son William of Hintlesham (bought from Thomas), William had three
1.Robert of Wickes Abbey
3.William of Hintlesham
Then Robert of Wickes had an only son William. William had four sons:
Of the latter William had two sons,
The last William is William of Braintree and married Eleanor Thompson. His children, excepting William, have the New
England characteristics. Comparing these with John Veazey of Cecil County, it is perhaps only a coincidence that his
wife was named Martha and that Thomas of Weeks who was also Martha but it is not impossible that they were
related. It is noteworthy however to take the sons of John and Martha, whose names were William, George,
Edward, James and Robert - William's wife was Rosamund, a name found among the descendants of Ivo DeVeazie.
George had two daughters, Elizabeth and Eleanor, the latter the same as the wife of William of Braintree. Edward
had an only son John. James had children, Martha, Thomas, Edward, Elizabeth and Mary and James. Robert had
children, John, Mary and Eleanor, again using the unusual name of the wife of William of Braintree. Duncan Veazey
believed that the use of the same names is not a coincidence. That John of Cecil had sons William and Robert; and
two granddaughters named Eleanor leads almost irresistibly to the conclusion that John was nearly related to
William of Braintree and to Robert of Weeks and that all were descended from William of Bedingham and thence from
Robert of Wickes. The circumstances of the name of the homestead of "Essex Lodge" is interesting in this view.
Consideration is also given to the conclusion of Mr. John Matthews of London that John emigrated from Essex, which
was independent of that of Duncan Veazey.
There was also a tradition often repeated to Duncan Veazey that it had been always understood that our
forefathers had been on the side of the King in the days of Parliament and Cromwell. John of Cecil Co. was born
about 1647 and was a mere baby when King Charles I was executed in 1649, but the problems living in England
lasted in fact until William the third had become firmly seated.
After examining the records and accounts of a number of families, Duncan Veazey found nothing to indicate any
connection excepting this family of Hintlesham and Wickes. They were not large families and in the case of the
Wickes family it seems most probable that the circumstances were for him prosperous. The sale of the last of the
Abbey property about the time of the settlement, and the disappearance of the family from Essex about the time our
forefathers settled here using the same family names are circumstances of exceeding great interest. There is almost
no doubt that John of Cecil was derived from Robert of Wickes and after examining many papers and records and
reports, Duncan Veazey was so fully persuaded that he had ceased to question this line of descent and in fact
claimed it as his own.
Whatever interest may be taken in the foregoing notes, traditions, and conclusions, it is indisputable that John
Veazey became a freeholder and settled in Cecil County not later than 1687. When he purchased the tract included
in Cherry Grove. His family then consented to his wife Martha and his five sons, William, George, Edward, James and
Robert. The Cecil County Veazeys have descended from these fine sons, those who remained permanently in
Sassafras Neck, in the old Parish of North Sassafras or Saint Stephen's being descended from Edward, the third son.
These notes are taken from those prepared a number of years ago (1890s) to preserve the record of the family so
far as was then possible. No one of the name of Veazey, Ward or Knight now lives in Sassafras Neck in the year
1907. For more than two hundred years these families were resided there and made an important and at times a
controlling factor in its life.
Last Updated: February 25, 2002.
 [S80] Penington Pedigree
 [S220] "Cherry Grove on Veazey's Neck"